Emerge Pediatric Therapy welcomes prospective therapy students to observe both group and individual therapy sessions. As a teaching clinic, we use state of the art equipment, evidenced based practice, highly trained clinical therapists, and a well developed program to provide quality observation experiences, beneficial to the prospective student’s experience, prior to applying to and entering a graduate program.
Goals of the Shadow Programs:
The Emerge Pediatric Therapy Shadow Programs is designed to:
- Provide opportunities for observation of individual and/or group therapy sessions to the prospective graduate student.
- Help the prospective graduate student gain required observation hours prior to the start of their program.
- Allow students the opportunity to learn more about their chosen field, directly from therapists.
Not Accepting Shadows for the 2020 Summer Semester
Due to COVID-19 and our best efforts to do all we can to flatten the curve and follow safety guidelines set out by the CDC, Emerge will not be accepting shadows for the summer. We will update this page at the end of the summer if we determine it is safe for all involved to bring shadows back into the clinic.
If you are seeking hours for graduate school or are hoping for a letter of recommendation:
As a Shadow or Volunteer at Emerge, you (the student), are responsible for bringing in an hours log in a timely manner for signature from our therapists. Hour logs will not be signed by our therapists after one month of completion of shadow/volunteer experience. Emerge Pediatric Therapy does not guarantee a letter of recommendation at the end of your time with us. These letters are subject to the approval of the supervising therapist. If you would like a letter written on your behalf, this must also be requested in a timely manner. Requests made one month, or more, following the completion of your shadow/volunteer experience will not be acknowledged.
Requirements of a Student Shadow:
- Please Fill out the Shadow Application form.
- Wait from an email from Brooke Brees (OT) or Laura Strenk (ST) to set up observation hours.
- Read and sign Emerge’s confidentiality agreement.
*Please note that a shadow is classified as a prospective therapy student, acquiring a minimal amount of strictly observation hours. These hours will be set up in advance with the shadow coordinator, depending on availability of the student and therapist.
Shadow Dress Code Policy
When visiting Emerge, please follow the following dress code requirements:
- Khakis and chinos are acceptable pants. Please refrain from wearing jeans, exercise pants, leggings, shorts, dresses, or skirts.
- Collared shirts or simple tops and blouses are acceptable. Please refrain from wearing low cut tops and graphic t-shirts.
- Only minimal jewelry, if any, should be worn. Nothing that a child could potentially pull off of you.
- Wear shoes that can slip on and off easily. Socks are optional.
- Emerge is a scent/smoke free facility. Refrain from wearing perfume or scented lotions.
- Dress comfortably, while adhering to the above requirements.