Junior Explorers – Fall 2018
Developing social skills &
self-regulation strategies for children
5 thru 7 years old
Junior Explorers is an effective small group therapy program focusing on building self-confidence, learning how to negotiate friendships and developing strategies for self-regulation and problem solving. This program will include sensory motor and social communication activities in the sensory gym, games, art and concepts from the “How Does Your Engine Run” program. Zones of Regulation, and Michelle Garcia Winner’s Social Thinking® curricula. The group, co-led by two occupational therapists, will be limited to six children in order to provide individualized attention.
- Develop verbal and non-verbal social skills via strategies for peer perspective taking, teamwork, problem solving and building friendships
- Learn sensory-based strategies to improve self-regulation.
- Identify ‘engine’ levels and zones, as well as several strategies to
- Bring oneself to a ‘just right’ or Green Zone level.
- Develop negotiation, sharing and game skills with peers.
When: Mondays, September 10th – December 10th Time: 4:00 -5:00 pm
Total Cost: $100 per session
To register, submit a paper or electronic form (located on the Therapeutic Group Main Page).
Children are expected to attend every session (barring illness), as the sessions build on each other and group dynamics are an important component. These services are billed as Occupational and/or Speech Therapy services and many parents receive partial reimbursement from their insurance companies.
Early registration is strongly encouraged as this program fills quickly.
If your child is not attending therapy sessions at Emerge, we will be in touch with you to set up a brief free screening to determine if this program is a good match for your child.