Write from the Start – Summer 2020
Developing early writing skills
Ages 5-7 years
Write from the Start is a small occupational therapy group program for children who are learning to write and are developing fine motor skills. The Handwriting Without Tears Program will be used to provide a foundation for letter formation. Children participating in Write from the Start should be familiar letters and numbers upon entry. Within sessions, emphasis will be placed on correct formation sequences, legibility and accurate orientation when forming letters, and on assembling well-formed letters into words. In addition, appropriate classroom behavior and social skills will also be addressed.
- Learning/refining letter formation sequences
- Improving legibility, line adherence and sizing of letters and words
- Improve consistency in spacing words and work on the paper
- Improve fine motor skills
- Build endurance for seated, or fine motor work
- Expand social interaction skills, including: sharing space and materials, peer negotiation, perspective taking and appropriate play
When: Tuesdays and Thursdays, June 16th – August 4th
Time: 3:00-4:00 pm
Total Cost: $100 per session
To register, submit an electronic form.
Children are expected to attend every session (barring illness), as the sessions build on each other and group dynamics are an important component. These services are billed as Occupational and/or Speech Therapy services and many parents receive partial reimbursement from their insurance companies.
If your child is not attending therapy sessions at Emerge, we will be in touch with you to set up a brief free screening to determine if this program is a good match for your child.